Sunday 16 January 2011

Too young to whip


If 2010 taught us any lessons about the music industry it was that there is no such thing as too young. Justin Bieber soared to pop super-stardom while resembling a tween, and there are so many things wrong with nine year old Willow Smith's meteoric rise to fame that I don't know where to start.



Willow undoubtedly has the skills but as the child of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith her big break was not a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The ability to act like a child while she still is a child is something which has probably already been eradicated since the release of Whip My Hair.


To perform a thumping dance floor anthem requires a maturity which doesn't sit comfortably on a preteen. The lyrics 'I whip my hair back and forth' are debatably nonsexual, but in the video clip she snarls and sings about partying. I hate to sound conservative, but it all just seems a bit inappropriate. Anyone else foresee a coke-fueled burn out in a year or two?


On a side note, Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith named their children Jaden and Willow. If that isn't narcissism then I don't know what is.